A Piece Of Me...

I was born in the second half of the 1900’s, possibly descended of "Scottish Tinkers" (still finding this), Tetched with Megalomania, Decidedly Hetro and an emerging Crone!

Winter, Blue, Spiritual, Empathic, Artist, Artisan, Wordist, Herbalist and a Stone Caster!

Now then, for good measure I’ll throw in ADD, Bi-Polar, OCD and a bit plain ole NUTZ….. J I refer to this as having numerous "Cats In My Attic", which means I still have control...otherwise they would just be "Bats In My Belfry"! : )

Most of my time, these days, is spent dealing with a semi-bizarre condition, "Arachnoiditis w/Myoclonic Dystonia"! Such is life after a fairly severe (ACDF C4-7) spinal incident. I am so grateful to no longer be paralyzed after successful surgery, that I try not to whine about the “Chump Change”! I’m sure any Quadriplegic out there would gladly accept the sacrifice for the freedom of Mobility!

Sunday, February 6, 2011

City Hall Bio

In 2006 I was given a second chance at life!  After an accident left me nearly paralyzed, I was saved by the grace of God and a gifted Neurosurgeon!  With the help of my devoted Husband I have been able to turn to my Art as a means of living recovery!

As a child I easily drew “Tippy Turtle” and other “Match Book” Art course challenges but squandered any natural talent as I grew easily bored with the tediousness of “practice”.  Rendering dogs, horses, flowers and trees was boring and I soon lost interest and let it slip by.  Then, in College, I returned to the Arts to pursue a few skills when I was introduced to “Expressionism & Abstract Concepts”!  I found myself charged with fascination, interest and admiration!  Marc, Kandinsky, Klee and so many other great artists fired my imagination and inspired me with ideas and freed my inner restraints!  With renewed energies and efforts, I entered several and won a couple of Art competitions!  During this time, I also put two paintings in a County Fair and was pleased and surprised to win both First and Second place!

As my life unfolded, although I kept Art in my heart and dabbled whenever I could, we owned and operated a small business and the ongoing daily responsibilities left little time for artistic endeavors! However, now recovering and relearning to live life, I am blessed to be able to regain some abilities and explore Art once again!  My Husband a driving force, my painting has become therapy, forcing me physically and mentally to push my limits and expand my capabilities!  Producing pieces again after so many years of “Artful” neglect, I recently decided to enter a couple of paintings in the County Fair and was delighted to place both First and Second once again!

I like to say my paintings are “Directional Abstracts” because I generally start with an idea, inspiration or intentional thought.  Then, I just allow the process to take over and lead me!  Primarily, I use Acrylics and love to play with color, materials, techniques and styles. I experiment constantly, following one idea with another to see where it leads me! Lately, my work has begun to be more dimensional as I use different fabrics, pastes, brushes, rollers, sculpting gadgets and even some kitchen utensils!  Sometimes, even requiring my Husband to handle the “Heavy” work!

Each one of my pieces has its own story and personality, with its own style, idea or unique concept!  I enjoy the process of getting there, most requiring numerous steps, so that each one is an accomplishment and an achievement!  I am hopeful my art will bring something unexpected, surprising or even insightful to the observer!  If it makes you feel good, smile, ponder or just pause in wonder, I feel like my Art has hit its mark!

This show is a representation of a broad spectrum of my works which includes one of my original First place winners “Midnight Windows” up to the very latest pieces such as “Origins” and “Autumnal Carnivale” that reflects some of my newest techniques using handmade canvases and mixed media! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Nice Or Just Be Gone! Only Positive Energy Allowed!